Thursday, June 30, 2016

Free Ranging ~ Day 1, New Mexico

We left around 1:00 today.  Stopped got out drinks before hitting I-17. We saw 2 Austin Martin distributer cars, really neat, the 2nd one we saw had two younger guys driving in it, I bet they would have a blast if they could let it loose.

First stop was Maguireville rest area, {76° outside} Grangeman and Doodles went in first while I guarded the luggage...yeah right, how am I going to stop someone.  While I was waiting I saw this kid almost fall head first into a trashcan, he decided he needed to walk on the wall.  I just chucked to myself.  When it was my turn I walked to the restrooms and I noticed a worker raking the rocks and doing it so lightly just to get the pine needles out, lines were perfect in the rocks, you can get row of pine needles towards the bottom of the picture.

There was a decent amount of rain on the way up to Flagstaff.  When we arrived in Flagstaff it was a beautiful rainy 61°, so nice and relaxing.

Leaving Flagstaff going East on I-40 there was a lot of traffic, but got to see parts of Flagstaff Doodles and I haven't seen before.  On the stretch between Flagstaff and Winslow we got a semi truck to honk his horn, now did that bring back some memories. Doodles had never tried it before and he got a kick out of it...memories being made right there.

Finally made it to THE corner in Winslow Arizona. You would think being a native I would have visited or been here before.  This so far is the highlight of my trip.  There are a few knick knack sort of shops on the main Route 66.  Met a nice old man who probably could have told us the history of Winslow...




Stopped at a Flying J for gas and a break. I always looks for Big Hunk candy bars at truck stops because they usually have them and they are my favorite.  Was bummed that this one didn't carry them.  I did get my Route 66 sticker though.

The rest of the trip into New Mexico we just sight saw and played tag with cars.  They would pass us, we would pass them.

Once we hit New Mexico, we started getting giddy. We were like a bunch of kids having a sleep over, laughing over the silliest things.

We discovered that at 7:00 on in and around Grants, NM, they either close shop and roll up the streets because we tried a few places to stop and get something to eat and they were all dark or the power was out in the area.  We got a kick out of it the rest of the trip joking about about it.

Doodles divided that he knows the history of everything and declared himself a historologist, later he became something else....well, he is something else.

We made it safely to our motel room in Albuquerque, NM around 8:30 Arizona time.

Tomorrow will be an easier leg of the trip, since we'll be leaving in the morning.  Good Night.



M & S
Uptown Grange ~ Free Ranging

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any derogatory, mean spirited or cruel comments will not be posted. This blog is meant only to show our trials, tribulations and experiences with dogs, gardening, recipes, crafts, DIY, natural healing, raising backyard chickens and anything else we feel is worth writing about.

Disclosures & Disclaimers
Please know that any advice or information shared on this blog is informational only and should be implemented at your own discretion.