Friday, July 1, 2016

Free Ranging ~ Day 2 New Mexico, Texas & Oklahoma

Nothing exciting happening in New Mexico, except rain, there were some really pretty mountains that almost looked like they were painted {sorry no pictures}. Oh yeah, the Super 8 off of Juan Tabo is a renter beware type of place.  The staff was nice but the rooms left much to be desired.

Leaving New Mexico arriving in Texas there is about 100 yards of no man's land, we joked with Doodles that that land must not be owned by either state, he promptly said, we'll then I'll take it.  So Doodles has claimed it as his with a population 2, him and his dog.

In Texas on I-40 there was a lot of windmill farms {I don't know what they are called} and nothing but flat brown land. There really wasn't anything exciting that happened here, we were just thankful it was the smallest part of Texas we had to go through.

Another little fact we forgot about is time zone changes, as soon as we hit the Texas border our clocks changed, so now we are now 2 hours ahead of Arizona, boy did this really throw us off. Our bodies aren't ready for bed but our clocks are telling us, it's time for bed.

Just before entering Oklahoma Doodles and I swapped seats, he was doing the chicken head bob in the front seat.  Poor guy did not look comfortable. When we swapped seats he stretched his legs a bit and ran into his first pile ever of what appeared to be fire ants, he promptly walked back to the truck. Another thing we aren't used to is the humidity ...OMG...it was humid and miserable...my hair just is not cut out for this weather.

Just inside of Oklahoma there is one of the nicest visitor/rest stop EVER.  The workers were nice.  I think western Oklahoma is beautiful, muggy, but beatiful and green.  So glad we came and that I can check this one off my list!

                     

Doodles got a kick out of the trashcans at the rest stop.  They looked like saddles, for horses, not sure why he is riding it like a bill.

                     

We hit 1000 miles away from home today just outside of Kingfisher, OK.  Here is a bit of trivia it is the birthplace of Sam Walton. Just in case you wanted to know, Grangeman is a very distant relative of his as far as ancestry.com indicates.

It was about an 8 hour drive to our first destination in Oklahoma in Enid.  One of my dad's cousins lives there and she and I haven't see, each other since we were both about 6 years old.  Yes, my dad has a first cousin 30+ years younger than him, that's what happens when your parents have large families... I've been dying to re-meet my great aunt.  I can't say how much that short visit tickled me and how much it meant to me. I have to admit, this surpassed standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ for me.


After Enid our final destination in the first part of our trip...Ponca City, OK.  We arrived safely, the scenery is absolutely beautiful.  I guess this was or is a big refinery town and some big wigs live or lived here.  

Tune in tomorrow for more about that, as I'm not entirely sure what else we are going to do other than stare at each...that's no fun.

M & S
Uptown Grange ~ Free Ranging

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any derogatory, mean spirited or cruel comments will not be posted. This blog is meant only to show our trials, tribulations and experiences with dogs, gardening, recipes, crafts, DIY, natural healing, raising backyard chickens and anything else we feel is worth writing about.

Disclosures & Disclaimers
Please know that any advice or information shared on this blog is informational only and should be implemented at your own discretion.