Pro-chickeners were outnumbered by a group of older people who weren't still at work, trying to support their families.
Their concerns varied from chickens bringing in coyotes, rats and smells to that they moved into an HOA to have rules and that this would supersede those CC&R's, and even going as far as having feral chickens and being allergic to chicken feathers. (snort)
- If the coop is enclosed the coyotes don't have easy access to them
- Chickens eat rats, bugs and other annoying pests
- Chickens don't smell unless their feces are in a moist environment, in our climate they only smell for a very short time, nothing compared to dog or cat feces
- According to what was released, this would not change any sort of HOA CC&R
- If you clip chickens wings on one side regularly they are not able to fly over any fence
- I guess everyone will have to remove bermuda grass, ash trees, and anything else that causes allergies from there yards
Of course there are always two sides to any issue. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Those that spoke were very passionate about their feelings. However, most of those against will not be around as long as those that are for allowing chickens.
It was a real eye opener.
M & S